Browse our categories

Important Documents

Payment Details

Who is responsible for the Council Tax?

Tenants are responsible for Council Tax for the duration of the tenancy. However, students can apply for council tax exemption and professionals living in a student household can apply for a discount.

Although we provide tenants’ names and Tenancy Agreements to MCC for council tax purposes, you will need to register your details with the council at the start of your tenancy to ensure that they bill correctly.

It is a tenant’s responsibility to ensure that they are paying for the correct amount of council tax throughout the duration of the tenancy. Please see the information below which you may find useful.

Council Tax for Students

If you are a student in full time education, you are entitled to apply for an exemption from Council Tax for the duration of your tenancy. Please Click Here to complete this form before your tenancy begins, to avoid any future council tax bills, court summons and/or bailiff letters to the property.

Please complete the exemption form as soon as possible, prior to the beginning of the tenancy to avoid the consequences above, as we will have already forwarded your names to the council tax office for invoicing.

Only one person per group needs to complete this form and submit it on everyone’s behalf. However, you are going to need personal details from each one of your housemate(s), so please communicate with each other.

You are responsible for the property for the period stated on your Tenancy Agreement (the date your tenancy begins until the date it is due to end). Therefore, it is important that you input the correct dates of your tenancy on the form, NOT the date you plan to collect keys. All tenants have received a copy of their Tenancy Agreement via email along with other important documents, please refer to this for clarification if you are unsure of your tenancy dates.

Council Tax for Non-Students

If you are a working professional within a student household, you will be liable for council tax for the entire property. However, you may be able to apply for a discount as you live with students, Click Here for more information.

Receiving a Council Tax Bill

If you receive a council tax bill at the beginning of your tenancy, this is usually nothing to worry about. There may be some cross over between the invoice being sent and your exemption being processed.

If you receive a council tax bill for only a short period towards the beginning or end of your tenancy, we would recommend checking the dates that your student status starts and/or ends. If your student status does not begin until September (for example), you may be liable for council tax up-until this date. If you cease being a student mid-June (for example), you may be required to pay the council tax for the period between this date and the end of your tenancy.

Should you receive any council tax bill, we would always recommend that you contact Manchester City Council to double check that they have received your exemption form and are aware of your student status. You should include a photo/copy of the bill, along with your tenancy agreement and each tenants’ Student ID when contacting the council to dispute a council tax charge.

Council Tax Enquiries

Unfortunately, Drake & Co are unable to assist with council tax enquiries. Should tenants have any questions or concerns regarding council tax exemption, a council tax invoice or the amount of council tax they should be paying, you will need to contact Manchester City Council directly. You can do so using the details below:


Phone: 0161 234 5002, 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays)

Car Parking Schemes

Security Advice

Wheelie Bins

Some properties have wheelie bins provided by the council which are emptied weekly/fortnightly.

What day will your bins be emptied?
Click the button below and simply enter your postcode to find out which day your bins will be collected. Make sure you remember to put them out the night before, as bins are usually collected early in the morning (7am onward).

What Is My Bin Collection Day?

It is essential that when you are recycling/emptying your waste into the wheelie bins provided that they are not overfilled. You must ensure that the lid of the bin can close completely, otherwise there can be a number of consequences, such as: your bin may not be emptied, waste could fall out and scattered by the elements, you could also encourage a rodent infestation as pests would scavenge exposed rubbish etc.

The “Lets Recycle Right” image illustrates examples of items that can be recycled and which bin you should use to dispose of them.

All waste that is unable to be recycled must be put into the grey/black household waste bin.

Click the button below to be directed to Manchester City Council’s website, to see which recycling bin to use depending on your waste.

Which Bin Should I Use?

Each bin/container provided is for specific waste, you must ensure that you do not cross contaminate when disposing of rubbish. For example: if the blue bin is for paper/cardboard, do not put general waste in here and vice versa. If you cross contaminate waste, the council will refuse to empty your bin(s) and fine you for this.

Order A New Wheelie Bin

If your bin has gone missing or been stolen, you will need to order a replacement via the MCC website.

Replacement general waste bins are £20 each.

Recycling bins are free to order, you can have as many as you wish.

Apply For A Larger Grey Bin

Standard wheelie bins are 140 litres. If there are six or more people in one household, MCC will provide the property with a larger grey bin (240 litres).

Click the button above to submit an application form if you believe you are entitled to a larger bin.

Report A Missed Collection

If your bin is not emptied on the bin collection date, check that you are putting the correct bin out on the right day, and that they aren’t cross contaminated.

If this is not the issue, report the missed collection to MCC via the button above.

Communal Containers

Communal bins are shared between the streets they are placed on and are usually located at the end of the road/in an alleyway. Sometimes, communal bins are locked behind a gate installed by Manchester City Council. This is to prevent members of the public from fly-tipping as these bins are for residents only.
Communal Bins are substantially larger than wheelie bins, as they are for the surrounding premises, not solely for each household.

The bins are usually labelled to say which type of waste should be put in which bin.

1) Black/grey container- domestic/household rubbish (waste that is unable to be recycled)

2) Blue container- paper and cardboard

3) Brown container- glass and plastic bottles

It is much more difficult to establish accountability if a communal bin has been overfilled, as they are shared between multiple households. We would recommend monitoring the communal bins throughout the week to ensure that rubbish is being disposed of appropriately. If you find excess rubbish has been placed around the bin(s), report this to the council immediately, to prevent this from attracting rodents to the area.

Excess Waste

Do not let excess waste pile up in your garden, on the street or around your wheelie/communal bins. Not only is this unsightly, this attracts vermin and you could be fined by Manchester City Council (up to £1,000 plus the cost of removing the rubbish).

Click Here to see tips, dumps and recycling centres available in Manchester.

If you are unable to get to your local tip/recycling centre, do not worry. There are many mobile rubbish removal companies that collect rubbish from the property directly, you can find these by searching online or social media sites. Alternatively, contact Drake & Co as we can recommend reliable contractors that may be able to assist and provide a quote for this work.

If you are moving out or have unwanted items that are still in good condition, DONATE!   Click Here for more information.

Moving In and Out Procedures