Frequently Asked Questions

What are your opening times?

Our office is open
Monday – Friday 9:30am – 5:00pm
Saturdays – 10:00am – 2:00pm

How do I arrange a viewing?

You can either telephone us on 0161 224 2134 or email or even better call into our office for a more detailed description of the property and arrange your viewing. We like to give our current tenants at least 24 hours notice of a planned viewing. Wherever possible we prefer to show the whole group around the properties in one go as this causes less disruption to the current tenants.

My friends and I have viewed a property and love it what next?

In order to secure a property and take it off the market you will be required to pay a deposit & sign a Legally Binding Assured Short Hold Tenancy Agreement. There are two ways of accessing the tenancy agreement to read through before signing , go to TENANTS then downloads and you will find all necessary documentation or alternative is to call into the office were we are here to provide assistance. When you are ready to sign up you can do it the same day you are in the office or make an appointment to suit you and your co-tenants. (Click link to complete your application)
Be Aware: Until a deposit is paid the property will be still classed as available for other students to view.

How much is the deposit & what is it for?

The deposit on the property is worked out by 5 times the weekly rent (e.g.) £70 per person – per week = £350 per person. The deposit is refundable at the end of your tenancy providing there are no rent or utility bills outstanding on the property & the house has been left in a clean and tidy condition and no damage has been caused.

What do I need to bring with me upon signing?

You will be asked to fill out a basic tenant detail application form requiring some personal information

(Click link to complete your application)

We also require:

  • Copy of Student Id card
  • National Insurance Number
  • Bank details
  • Deposit funds – payable via card/cash or bank transfer

Are there any agency fees?

We do require a one off agency fee of £70 which is for matching you to a property including showing you around various properties, completion of the relevant paper work and provide assistance throughout your stay. You will also have access to our 24 hours emergency maintenance team out of office hours. (This fee is on an annual basis should your tenancy rollover).

Are utility bills included?

We give you the option should you wish to have utility bills included there is an additional charge off £20 per person – per week which covers (not available for 1 & 2 bedroom properties):-

  • Gas
  • Electricity
  • Water
  • TV license
  • Broadband
  • Telephone

*All of the bills are under Bills Paid Ltd fair usage policy*

How long is the contract for?

The contract is for one academic year 1st July – 30th June.

Do I need a guarantor?

A parent or guardian within the UK and over the age of 21 can stand as a guarantor. The guarantor is to cover the tenant should there be any outstanding rent arrears or malicious damage be caused by the tenant to the property. The guarantor is only liable for the tenant named on the guarantor form.

Tenants that are not uk citizens we will accept a paid guarantor service speak to a member of the team who will explain the process.

How is my rent paid?

Once the deposit and agency fee is paid the next time you will need to send funds will be for the summer retainer (Paid as One full month rent for July/Aug). This needs to be paid by cash, credit/debit card (via telephone or in person) or bank transfer. After this is paid the next rent you will need to pay is for 1st September. The rent from September onwards is paid by standing order (available to download from our website or in the office). Rent is due on the 1st of each month no later as a late payment charge will be added as detailed in your tenancy agreement.

Can I pay my rent termly?

If you wish to pay your rent Termly we will require the Summer Retainer payment and the September rental payment to be paid on the elected due dates and then your termly payments are as follows:

  • 1st October – 31st January – Paid by September loan
  • 1st February 30th April – Paid by January loan
  • 1st May – 30th June – Paid by April loan

Can I live in my property during the summer retainer period?

We will allow access to the property from 1st July if there are no major works being carried out (information will be provided when securing property). If you request to live in the property over the retainer period please take into consideration it is a retainer period and this is the time that any maintenance works from your inventory/repair sheet are carried out.  Please be aware that within the retainer period July/August we will not be able to provide any notice to tenants that have moved in of the builders/maintenance calling to carry out works in and out of your property.

Do I need insurance?

You will need to cover your personal contents but check your parent’s home insurance policy as some insurance companies insure belongings away from home. If this is not the case you can enquire about contents insurance through


Are we allowed pets in our house?

Under no circumstances are pets allowed in any of Drake & Co’s properties.

How do I collect my keys?

You can collect your keys anytime from the 1st July after 2pm from our office, if you can’t collect your keys and would like someone to collect them for you (other than a co-tenant) you MUST inform us of the person & make sure they have photo id with them when they come to our office. Before we can release keys to any of our properties all relevant paperwork must be filled in & all funds must be paid. Under no circumstances can we post keys to any of our tenants.

How can I return my keys?

Keys to the property must be in our office no later than (12 noon) on the 30th June, If we do not receive keys back on time you may be charged for change of locks. If you leave Manchester with your keys before your initial move out date you can post the keys in a secure envelope recorded delivery but please be aware should they go missing you will be liable for replacement charges.

How do I report any maintenance issues/repairs?

There are many ways you can report issues;
Come into our office & report it.

Send us an email

Using our webform

Give our office a call 
0161 224 2134

In writing: 
Drake & Co
161a Dickenson Road
M14 5HZ

What if your office is closed and I have an emergency issue?

If the office is closed and you have an emergency you can ring our 24 hour emergency call out numbers

Frank: 07973472554
Lee: 07795211746

If the issue is not an emergency you will be charged a call out fee of £20, so please try and wait until office opening hours.

What happens if I want to end my tenancy early?

If you wish to move out of one of our properties for any reason you must either pay until the end of your contract or (with the agreement of the other tenants) advertise your room and get another student to take over your share of the tenancy. Once you have let your room and the new tenant has paid the deposit, all other co-tenants along with the new tenant are required to come into the office and sign a new tenancy agreement (NOTE: there will be a £75 administration fee paid by the tenant vacating the property).

What furniture will be in my room?

Most of our accommodation is supplied with ¾ (Queen) or double size bed, a set of draws, a wardrobe, a desk and chair (any other items will be what has been left by previous tenants and Drake & Co will not be responsible for repairing/replacing).

What am I responsible for?

You are responsible for:

  • Cleanliness and refuse disposal internal and externally
  • Reporting all issues as soon as they occur
  • Changing of bulbs throughout unless they are dangerous to reach or sealed unit light fittings
  • Reducing condensation issues (ventilating your room as much as possible)
  • Cleaning filters on: washing machine, dryer & vacuum cleaner.

How do I get my deposit back?

To receive your deposit back you have to return your keys (on time) and need to provide our office with proof of final bill payments (gas/water/electric).  Deposit will not be refunded if the tenancy has any form of rental arrears outstanding, until all is paid up to date including charges. Deposit are returned to the bank account details you provided on your original application form which you filled out at the beginning of your tenancy, failure to provide the correct details there will be a delay in returning your deposit.